Ricardo DBS (Defense Brake System) is a combination system which adds ABS (Antilock Braking System) and ESC (Electronic Stability Control) to mitigate the rollovers commonly associated with specific military vehicles such as the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV or ‘Humvee’). The system can also be applied to other Light Tactical Vehicles.
DBS provides increased reliability and operational readiness to existing military vehicles and can be adapted beyond HMMWV to other military and government vehicles. The Ricardo system provides improved safety and reliability:
- Fatal rollovers reduced by 74% (U.S. Dept. of Transportation (DOT) data)
- Fatal crashes reduced by 45% (DOT data)
- Massive reduction in vehicle stopping distance and performance
- Significant improvement in brake pad and rotor life
The brake system was developed and tested using the HMMWV. To demonstrate the effectiveness of the system, the HMMWV was tested and passed the stringent passenger car US Federal Motor Vehicle Standards for Stability Control Performance.
The technology consists of industry leading Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) parts modified for military application packaged in a retrofit kit applicable to the entire fleet of U.S. HMMWVs (Up-Armored and Non-Armored). All brake system kits upgrade the fitted vehicle with the following safety improvement features:
- Antilock Brake System (ABS)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Active Rollover Protection (ARP)
- Traction Control (TC)
- Improved Brake Calipers, Pads, and Rotors
- Energy-Absorbing Steering Column
Please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this project.